Tuesday, November 12, 2013

In Which She Thanked Him


3 — Something New
(2001; Los Angeles)




It was raining and she was about to sing about the rain. How cliché. Well, not that much, as she would also mention a tea that had gone cold, and that she hoped wouldn't happen. But oh, she'd rush for a warm cuppa as soon as the song was over. Then she looked up and realized she was just thinking those little stupid things so she wouldn't be nervous.

– Come on, dear – Kevin smiled warmly and handed her the guitar, which she strapped on before returning the assuring smile. – Alright, we'll be continuing to our normal Friday schedule in just a while, but first, I'd like to introduce you to our new talent: everyone give it up for !

We agreed on one song, one song and that's it.



My tea's gone cold, I'm wondering why I
Got out of bed at all
The morning rain clouds up my window,
And I can't see at all
And even if I could it'd all be gray
But your picture on my wall
It reminds me that it's not so bad
It's not so bad

But she wasn't nervous. In fact, after just that one stanza, she wasn't nervous at all anymore. The twenty-something people in the shop all seemed to be enjoying her voice, or at least not viciously hating it.


I drank too much last night, got bills to pay
My head just feels in pain
I missed the bus and there'll be hell today
I'm late for work again
And even if I'm there, they'll all imply
That I might not last the day
And then you call me and it's not so bad
It's not so bad

And I want to thank you
For giving me the best day of my life
Oh, just to be with you
Is having the best day of my life


There was a boy just to her right. He wouldn't stop staring ever since Kevin had announced her, as she'd noticed with the corner of her eyes. Can't hurt to look, right? Just don't be an idiot and lose the focus on the song, . It's very you to do something like that.

Oh, he was handsome. So charming. He had short brown hair and the most beautiful blue eyes. He threatened to open up a smile but then she looked away. I'll get back to you.


Push the door, I'm home at last
And I'm soaking through and through
Then you handed me a towel
And all I see is you
And even if my house falls down now
I wouldn't have a clue
Because you're near me

And I want to thank you
For giving me the best day of my life
Oh, just to be with you
Is having the best day of my life

I want to thank you
For giving me the best day of my life
Oh, just to be with you
Is like having the best day of my life


The claps warmed her heart, and she gave out the widest and most honest smile. Sure, it ought to not really count as the first time she sang in public, since she'd sang to probably the same amount of people when it was her family at Christmas. Still, she felt light as a feather and incredibly happy to have done that.

She thanked the cheers on the microphone and then got off, as the performer of the evening got ready to step in. After putting her guitar away in its case, sat down by a small table, and not to long after saw her friend Margo walk by with a cup of tea and some cookies.

– Congratulations ! Figured you'd want these – she smiled and set the food down from the tray. – I'll make it your reward for being so freaking good up there. Even though it means you're now above me.

– Above you? – laughed – I'm not gonna stop waiting tables just because I sang one song.

– Oh, Kevin's face said you will, honey – Margo smiled once more and went to take a costumer's order.

She sipped the Earl Grey only but a few times before lowering down the cup brought the image of that guy standing right in front of her. Oh, so you weren't just a mirage? You weren't just a random boy that only exists during the song, like in a music video? Alright then.

– That was really great – This time, he opened up the smile she had missed earlier. She felt very lucky to have seen it this time. Especially when it came right after that sweet Scottish-accent voice. Oh, I should say something.

– Thank you – smiled back. – It was my first time singing to an unknown crowd, I don't think it went so badly.

– Your first time? Wow, that makes it even better! You should sing live more times...

– I will try to, especially if I start getting paid for it – she joked, which made him laugh shortly. noticed he didn't exactly know where to go next, not wanting to walk away. – Have a seat.

– Thanks – he replied, settling down at the free chair. – , right?

– Yep – she replied before sipping some more tea.

– James McAvoy – he stretched out his hand, and she took it with a laugh.

– You know, if you're not about to tell me you're here representing a record company, then this is a bit weird.

– Oh, it does sound like that, doesn't it? – James momentarily cradled his head on his hand – Well, I'd be happy to go after labels for you, but unfortunately, I am just a fan.

– That's a first – she laughed. – You looking for an autograph then?

– A talk, rather. Making new friends is a healthy activity, don't you think? – James made laugh. He was intriguing. Just walking by wanting to make friends, she hadn't had that a lot. It was fun. – So, what's your story?

– I don't have a story – laughed. – Haven't really done anything at all with my life at this point. You?

– If you don't have a story, then I don't have a story – he joked.

– Alright, Glasgow boy...

– Oh, that's very specific – James arched an eyebrow and smiled – An American would not know that.

– American-born British – smiled back. – Both my parents are from London. What about you, just visiting?

– Um... Yeah, I'm only here for the weekend. In fact, I... I was hoping someone could show me around before I go, which is tomorrow night...

– Am I supposed to respond to that? – suggested.

– Well... – James ran his hand through his hair and curled up the corner of his lips – I was thinking maybe you'd like to go out with me, show me around...

laughed at first, but then turned it into a shy smile and looked at him, imagining whether she should be crazy enough to accept that. She'd never had anything like that before. It felt scary. She really wanted to do it.

– You can sleep at my place, we'll leave early tomorrow.

raised an eyebrow, obviously inclined to deny the offer, and James opened up a charming smile.

– Come on, I promise I won't do anything. Here – James lifted a bread knife that was set in the table and handed it to – If I so much as try to hug you, you can use this to kill me.

laughed loudly and shook her head, pushing his hand back towards him.

– Not the best idea to try and convince someone you're a good person by stealing a knife...

– Alright, I'll give you that was a bit crazy. But we can meet early on tomorrow, yes?

– Actually, there's this festival going on... We shouldn't waste the opportunity.

James was the one surprised this time, not imagining the girl would be bold enough to take him out right then. She seemed naive at this whole thing, but now she was confident and ready to go. And he wouldn't say no to that. She was just way too interesting for him to deny any sort of deal.

– Listen, there's food, there's music, there's your company... I don't even need to answer, do I?

*

– Are you serious right now? You've never heard of Murder On The 5th before? – sounded genuinely surprised, and nearly offended, as she and James waited for the cotton candy he was buying her.

– I am, I'm serious! But from what you tell me, after this show they'll probably be one of my favorite bands. It's a shame they haven't spread out to Europe.

– Great excuse, mister – smiled at the man who handed her the candy and walked away with James. – But now you're here you need to dive right into the Californian culture.

– Ready to the next stage already – James stopped and went towards a piece of grass that surrounded a tree, and there the two sat to wait for the concert to begin.

– So, what's a young actor doing in L.A for only a weekend? Audition gone bad?

– Actually, I need to tell you something...

– Wow, we already have secrets? – laughed and James followed. She noticed he'd gotten serious then and was looking deeply into her eyes.

– I'm not here for the weekend. I moved to the city a few weeks ago – James waited for to respond, but all she did was arch an eyebrow, expecting further explanation. – I'm not sure why I said that... I guess I wanted an adventure.

– Then why are you telling the truth?

– Because... If you learn that I'm staying, I might have a shot at seeing you again.

Oh, crap. What's with the uncomfortable silence? You mean this isn't a friendship? She felt slightly scared, like she had earlier when facing the brand new opportunity, but now she felt goose bumps. Is this what Ollie's told me about? Cause I'm not sure I like being nervous around men. Or do I? I do. I like this.

– I'm sorry that I lied—

And that was all James was able to say before closed the distance between them and their lips met. He would've jumped in himself – he wanted to just as much –, but felt it would be too eager, since mere minutes before they were barely friends. And he was right about it, cause did that on a complete impulse – but not one she'd regret later. All this just felt so different altogether that she figured Why not? This is a good new thing. I've never even had a boyfriend before, it's time I invest in something like this. Maybe I've even found my first love.

No comments:

Post a Comment